Skip to main content

The Simplest Systems Thinking Exercise - How to Make Toast.

For many years one example of process thinking, resource gathering, requirements, implementation and acceptance criteria has been the exercise - make PB&J sandwiches.  I've done this with groups to discuss the simple task that we typically overlook as "experts" in sandwich making, that perhaps a 5 year old will find difficulty glossing over the - get bread - instruction.


Here's a TED Talk by Tom Wujec who has analyzed a similar exercise and draws some powerful conclusions from many iterations.  Watch it and then rethink the simple acts in your life.




So tell me again why group collaboration is important when you are solving wicked problems?

I was out walking my dog, Malibu and we stopped at a tree with lights wrapped around it's trunk.  They didn't go too far up the trunk, and I wondered if the humans ran out of effort... then I imagined the lights wrapping themselves around the tree.  What kind of motions would a set of lights on a wire learn?  I assumed it would be an inchworm motion.  I think I've seen this animated so it must be correct.  But then I tried to apply the motion to the long strand of lights - and something felt wrong... it had a lot of drag.  So how does an inchworm move?  Does it use it's six legs (on the front of the body) to pull the hind end forward?  Would that work for a strand of lights?

Let's watch - study an inchworm.

Pondering...  how many people can tell us - how does an inchworm move?

How would nature solve the motivation problem for a strand of lights?


See Also:

Visual Thinking


Comments