Skip to main content

Twitter - Dialogue on prerequisites for Collaboration

Dialogue on Prerequisites for Collaboration

A dialogue on Twitter platform for David's course in IDEO-University's Ideas to Action.
  1. An invation to join a Twitter dialogue on the aspects of collaboration.
  2. Who can help me this afternoon: I'm doing an IDEO-University course on Ideation and Action.
  3. Todays' assignment engage a group of people in brainstorming this activity:
  4. Challenge - what has to happen before collaboration can occur in the workplace? What are some of the situational requirements,
  5. Challenge - and some of the obvious warning signs that might show up when introducing a collaborative activity?
  6. Anyone can comment and join the dialogue... ready 1, 2, 3, go...
  7. A nice little graphical overview of the IDEO University course 'From Ideas to Action'.
  8. @davidakoontz IDEO course: From Ideas to Action;  Help a tweeter out join my brainstorming session https://t.co/hPNZnIPt2o
    @davidakoontz IDEO course: From Ideas to Action; Help a tweeter out join my brainstorming session pic.twitter.com/hPNZnIPt2o
  9. @davidakoontz a prerequisite for collaboration: an invitation - unambiguous, "Hey twitter peeps this is for YOU". Join the dialogue
  10. @davidakoontz Invitation is a good example of a prerequisite
  11. So what are some examples of the warning signals that collaboration is not about to happen?
  12. @davidakoontz Warning Will Robison: if a bot were to wave it's claws and shout - that would be a good signal... but without that... what?
  13. So it seems like invitation might need to be personalized a bit... the generic invitation had little response; but when I got specfic... kinda called people out... like a gun-fighter in the dusty street...
  14. @davidakoontz @CalebJenkins you D Man, help me get this storming session started... how do you do it?
  15. @davidakoontz Hey @WoodyZuill can I ask your help in starting a brainstorming session on this topic of collaboration?
  16. @davidakoontz Sounds interesting. What would that be like? And where?
  17. @davidakoontz @WoodyZuill I expect you know many of the warning signs that collaboration is going to be difficult in an environment - Huh?
  18. @WoodyZuill right; so what are the things YOU do before the things you do to collaborate with people?
  19. @davidakoontz I'm more focused on trying things, experimenting, and turning up the good.
  20. Woody is very popular right now on the conference and workshop circuit for discovering how to turn up the best in small groups of developers. He and his cohorts decided that a bit of intensive pair programming could be turned up to eleven (on a scale of 1 to 10). They coined the slightly satirical term - Mob Programming, to describe their activity. 
  21. @davidakoontz In Twitter? I haven't yet learned how to use Twitter for much more than introductions in most cases.
  22. @davidakoontz I know some things about collaboration, and I'm always looking to learn more.
  23. @davidakoontz This isn't something I can meaningfully do in Twitter. Too constrained and "broken up" for me to cover nuanced topics.
  24. @davidakoontz It might be better. I prefer face-to-face discussion.
  25. @davidakoontz That is contextual. Each team discovers this.
  26. @davidakoontz I see. I don't find this meaningful to try to cover in Tweets. We can talk about it next time we meet up.
  27. @chrismurman can I entice you to join a dialogue (now on tweeter) on collaboration?
  28. @davidakoontz @chrismurman what are your 3-5 precursors for collaboration?
  29. @davidakoontz lol ok for me it is 1. Outcome. 2. Necessary players.
  30. @davidakoontz 3. Level expectations or norms.
  31. “We might be standing in the same room having the same conversation but we’re not really understanding one another.”  http://buff.ly/2lEGQDA 
  32. @CalebJenkins please give me 5 Pro-Tips for starting collaboration in a new group?
  33. @davidakoontz @AdamYuret can I entice you into yet another dialogue - topic prerequisite for collaboration || 1,2,3, go
  34. @davidakoontz 1. Have whiteboards, Markers and Sticky notes 2. Place some of each in each person's hands ..
  35. @CalebJenkins #2 - placing in each person's hands - that might be a key... to encouraging agency in low empowered groups
  36. @davidakoontz 3. Do an activity where they are up and using those. 4. Invite them to continue to use those to capture their ideas. ...
  37. @davidakoontz 5. ask them to improve on each other's ideas#ideaJazz
  38. @CalebJenkins I've noticed a team with what I'd call a lack of "agency" - they will not play with the toys in a bucket in the floor???
  39. @davidakoontz Yes, hand something to each person. They often won't pick those up without prompting. Empower from the start! #ideaJazz
  40. ... about this moment someone said something about Jazz Hands...
  41. @davidakoontz share vision, include everyone, and build trust to collaborate
  42. @austingovella thanks, may I probe a bit deeper... how do I build trust (right now - with you; how do I un-build trust)??
  43. @austingovella it's kinda weird to talk to a bandaged face - I've got a bandage on my belly button - hernia repair Monday.
  44. @davidakoontz Collab always happen. It's a matter of degrees. Do those three things to maximize collaboration together and apart
  45. @austingovella let's expand on the "share vision" - is this vision a emphatic statement or a genuine question? something between??
  46. @davidakoontz reach out to include me in conversation, ask for my input, listen, respect my input, come to consensus with me for a decision
  47. @davidakoontz I have a chapter in collaboration. I'd love to send it to you for feedback. Wanna see it?
  48. Julian Treasure's 5 ways to listen better (via TED). Active listening for better facilitation and collaboration:  http://www.ted.com/talks/julian_treasure_5_ways_to_listen_better 
  49. Ladies, now you can prove precisely how many times a man interrupts you #WomensDay https://t.co/PFlBJ7V1Pe https://t.co/qEDtd7M5yi
    Ladies, now you can prove precisely how many times a man interrupts you #WomensDay  http://buff.ly/2lEOCxi  pic.twitter.com/qEDtd7M5yi

Comments